msarki

Writing Dangerously: Mary McCarthy and Her World
Stephen Black, Carol Brightman
Seduction and Betrayal: Women and Literature
Elizabeth Hardwick, Joan Didion
My Friend Annabel Lee (1903)
Mary MacLane
Human Days: A Mary MacLane Reader
Bojana Novakovic, Michael R. Brown, Mary MacLane
Stranger Shores: Essays 1986-1999
J.M. Coetzee

Things Seen

Things Seen - Annie Ernaux, Brian Evenson, Jonathan Kaplansky The most striking result for me, after reading this book, is the hopeless condition the author sees for us. But she does not complain, ever. She merely points out to us examples of the madness and indifference growing in our world today. She takes her own valuable time to record these observations, to make these notes because she cares, even if nobody else appears, even today, to be listening.

One day, the entire sky will become “aerial”, criss-crossed with routes that are noisier than those on the ground, invaded by aircraft that will collide with one another, and fall, causing ten thousand deaths a year, above and below. In cruel indifference, as is now the case with car accidents. This is how men resemble gods.____ Annie Ernaux 1999, Things Seen