msarki

American Witness: The Art and Life of Robert Frank
RJ Smith
Autumn
Karl Ove Knausgård, Ingvild Burkey, Vanessa Baird
Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd (Reading Edition)
Nick Mason
American Witness: The Art and Life of Robert Frank
J.R. Smith

The Following Story

The Following Story - Cees Nooteboom, Ina Rilke My disappointment in The Following Story is of course only a temporary arrangement constructed as a forgettable dream here in my consciousness. But how a particular book can get so lost on a person like me is astounding. It does not happen often. There are books that arouse in me great feeling and others that relate the truth of who I am, but then others are dead as if I am too, and then I am left feeling totally disheartened. Long ago I quit beating myself up for not understanding a certain text. I learned to continue on just reading through it, waiting for something profound to happen in my body or finally a joy to erupt as my just reward. But the barrage of Nooteboom references to ancient writers such as Ovid, Tacitus, and Cicero kept me outside and at great distance because no matter how seriously I took them the classics have never occurred to me as something I might be seriously interested in. Throughout the years casual looks at the numerous texts available to me never gave me cause for further study. Because of this character defect in myself poets such as William Butler Yeats, whose poems refer consistently to the classics, mean nothing to me and hence neither does he. But that is not to say I do not appreciate the almost secret code that only others privy to the ancients might understand and expound on in the wonderful reviews that sometimes follow their readings. There are some writers such as W.G. Sebald who can present unknown icons to me but still leave me connected to the text and completely engaged. Nooteboom failed in this regard. I was forever lost at sea, and even when brought to rapt attention by details provided regarding an illicit affair I never felt wholly involved in the text. But because I already hold Cees Nooteboom in such high regard based only on my prior reading of [b:Rituals|1040534|Rituals |Cees Nooteboom|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1223480573s/1040534.jpg|1026905], I am claiming to be the one to blame here. And for me at least the many brilliant reviews of this book still occupy a higher ground than The Following Story ever could.